Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Apparently whiteware makes it official


DG arrived at my place the night before last, unusual in itself as we dont see each other during the week due to work/study/sport training etc, but anyway he rocks up with ingredients for dinner,a bottle of wine and a clothes dryer. Yes you read it right, a clothes dryer.

I dont have a clothes dryer and last winter was hell in a handbasket trying to dry stuff as we had several months without a single fine day and I had clothes airers all over the house and the place did look a little like a chinese laundry to be honest. Ben and I were watching TV around the clothes airers and DG remembered this from our early conversations while he was still living in Australia last winter and last weekend was very rainy, all weekend, I didnt do any washing because I didnt want to be hanging laundry all over the house in front of him lol.

DG decided this wasnt good enough for me that I needed to be able to get my washing done without stressing about it getting dry and felt that part of his 'winterisation of my home' plan was to install a decent sized dryer for me. So he went out and bought me a clothes dryer and set it up for me. So I did a load of washing just to try the dryer out and while we were sitting there drinking the bottle of wine and watching the dryer going around and around and marvelling at its reverse spin to minimise tangling action, he commented on the symbolism of whiteware purchasing and mused out loud if this made it official, us being boyfriend and girlfriend. I said I thought it kinda symbolised a bit more than just BF and GF to which he grinned at me and topped up my glass and planted a smooch.

I havent stopped smiling since.

2 comments:

  1. I love this man. Almost as much as I love dryers. Dryers are one of my favorite appliances. The hell with hanging clothes all over the house.

    Yay! Official!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of the most thoughtful surprises I've heard of. You deserve the perma-grin!

    I was just thinking how ironic it is that the gift of a dryer that cements your status in the dating phase becomes far less romantic if one is already married. ;-)

    ReplyDelete