Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Back to the Future....




Many many lifetimes ago, well not that many only about 6 years ago to be precise, I used to go to the Gym. Regularly. Like every day for about 2 hours 6 days a week. I stopped and the spillage happened, I spillaged about 30 odd kilos into my short 5ft 3 inch frame and now I suffer from the effects of obesity. My boobs became massive and to compensate so I didnt fall forward while walking around, my caboose increased in size to counter balance the outfrontage. My body became a secret agent, it was undercover, lots of cover. So the moral of this story isnt this but if a guy tells you you dont need the gym and you are gorgeous and then preceeds to inflict such misery on your life you eat and drink and damn near loose your sanity to cope with it....dont believe the lying SOB cause he loves the fact only that you are dumb enough to be with him.

I am a fatty! I am short and fat and this needs to not be so. I am 45 next week and I dont want to die at 46 like my dad did. (He wasnt fat but he had a heart problem) but none-the-less I am a walking or rather waddling timebomb.

So I am making a public statement here in the hope that going public is going to somehow flick the switch in my brain, the stickability switch. You see I often have all good intentions but get bored so very easily and I wander off to something new. Now last time I was gymming I was intense, I loved it, it was great , the routine of coming home from work dropping everything grabbing a text book-studying- and heading to the gym to workout (read the text book while on the bike etc) I got into the groove of it, it didnt take long and I had dropped a lot of weight and didnt look too bad, I will always have curves but these were dangerous curves not damn mountains.

I have a gym in the basement at work and a personal trainer on reception some days, so I have no excuse, no gym fees and Maree to make sure I am doing what I should be. Yesterday the lovely Maree took me through my programme for the first time, today I have come to work with my gym bag packed and ready to go. I am going to record progress on here along with my dating debarcles lol.

Day one: 44 yrs old, 99kg and totally hating what I let myself become.

Tomorrow I will have done my first real workout in a few years to which I will have made myself feel marginally better for having done it. The trick from then on is to not get down on the long road ahead and to keep going and get into the routine and keep it moving. I have a bloody long way to go but if you look at what I was and what I am, what I was, is where I want to be again. That's about 30kg ago.

And so begins the journey to health and happiness in who I am.

5 comments:

  1. I'm impressed with you. I think if it's what you really want to do, you will, absolutely. You don't have the miserable guy in your life anymore, and once you get into it, it'll feel good, and momentum will keep you moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. I'm sure you can get your gym groove back (and maybe inspire me to do the same!), and there is something about a public declaration that increases stickability.

    P.S. I found your blog through Lemon Gloria and kept reading because we have serious plans to move to NZ (hopefully Wellington) in the next year or two. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keenie Beanie- Really :O:O wow fantastic. Wellywood is a great place I travel there for work and the odd weekend of culture and politcal infusement ....no seriously only culture.
    What is inspiring you to mocve all the way down to the Antipodes? If there is anything I can assist with or info about this place I can get for you let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LG I did my first workout yesterday and can still move this morning so thats a good thing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so sweet to offer assistance/info. I may take you up on that someday soon. Why NZ? The English husband had a few mates that emigrated to NZ and love it, plus we had a great friend in Cayman that was from Auckland. So we did our couple months traveling the country from top to bottom for the wedding trip, and we loved it too. There is so much natural beauty, the Kiwis are brilliant, and D is looking forward to living in a country where rugby is practically a religion. The world is our oyster, but NZ is definitely the pearl.

    ReplyDelete