Sunday, April 25, 2010

All Sunshine and Happiness and little Babies


I went to a Naming Ceremony yesterday. Good friends who live across the road. Their first child and she is the most happy, adorable wee thing. As I stood there listening to Emma's parents pledge their love and support for the rest of their lives it struck me that they were embarking on a journey I started 17 years ago when my son Ben was born. I drifted back to the first moment I held my son after a long and difficult birth that caused some amount of panic at the maternity wing of the hospital and my eyes teared up because I can remember so vividly the awe and wonder and overwelming love I had for this tiny wee thing I held. Right there listening to my friends and watching the people around them who had children at the ceremony, I saw every single Mum and Dad either reach out and put a hand on their child or seek them out with a look that was filled so obviously with the crystal clear memory of their arrival. I watched as Mums and Dads glanced at each other and shared a secret smile, both remembering that magical moment in their lives and I saw Dads take hold of Mums hands and put their arms protectively around their partners waists. I watched a group of people for a moment in time, all flash back to a moment in their lives when it all began for them. The journey of parenthood.
17 years later for me and I have a son who every day in his life does me proud. He works hard to achieve his goals and has the determination and drive to succeed at whatever he desires.
As any parent knows it's not a path of roses and honey but its a path that exceeds all others in satisfaction. Every step they take, every achievement they have and every slip up they make is woven into our hearts with a gossamer thread that is so strong it will never break. Every heartbreak and dissapointment they suffer, we feel it. They are an individual but an intangible extension of us.
So 17 years on my darling son, my heart still bursts with love for you, and although we dont always agree on things I love the adult you are becoming and see in you a young man who takes his responsibilities seriously and who will learn by any mistakes made. I am proud of you and of who you are. You are to me simply the best person in the world!
I still want you to clean up that swamp hole you call a bedroom!!
I love you Ben.



2 comments:

  1. This is so sweet! I love how proud you are of your boy! And I love the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks LG, you have all this wonderfulness and the moments they make you so proud your eyes tear up, to come with your little guy.

    ReplyDelete