Thursday, July 7, 2011

Doughies- Go Bettys Kitchen.

Ok today the recipe is not so much from the excesses of my garden, well not at all really.

Today I am going to share a recipe for doughies or fried bread. I know it sounds hideously gross and dripping with oil and fatness but it really isnt and makes for a yummy dessert.

This is dead easy to make and a great pudding. (Littlies love them to munch on)

I serve it with Golden Syrup and either icecream or whipped cream.

Doughies.
2 Cups Flour
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon of salt.
Warm water. (Add 1/2 a cup to start. If you make it too soft just add a handful of flour to bind it again)

Mix the flour , baking powder and salt with enough warm water to make a soft dough. Knead lightly and then let sit for about 30 mins.

In a medium saucepan place about 2 inches of vegetable oil or rice bran oil.
Heat until a small piece or ordinary bread dropped into the oils starts browning.

Cut off 1 inch bits of the dough and flatten with fingers to about 1 cm disk.
Place into the hot oil and cook turning when light golden colour. (They will puff up)

Remove when cooked and place on draining paper.

When cooked place into dessert plates drizzle over golden Syrup and spoon on whipped cream or icecream.
Alternatively have syrup and cream in separate dishes and let people dip their doughies into each before popping into le bouche.

These are almost like a doughnut type of thing so you can do the sugar and cinnamon or whatever type of finishing you would like.

Cooks Note:
I am going to try making these and putting a dollop of jam into the flattened disk and folding it over and pinching together and cooking so they hopefully have a jammy filling in the middle. (Lemon Honey might be a bit nice in the middle too)

Enjoy and once again let me know if you try the recipes I post and what you think.

4 comments:

  1. This is not the kind of thing I would make but is definitely something I would eat if someone else made them. :)

    Do you have funnel cakes in NZ? If you don't, it's basically batter drizzled into hot oil, so you wind up with a big swirled pile of fried dough. And then they're coated with powdered sugar. You get them at fairs here. They are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those sound heavenly!

    Must... resist... fried, doughy treat...

    Lisa is right - they do sound like mini funnel cakes, and I lurve me some funnel cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. never heard of funnel cakes but will proceed to google for a recipe and give them a try.

    These are a treat for us maybe once a year I make them as no they are not that good for you I am sure. It was only because I had a yen and made some the other night that I thought I must blog this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of funnel cakes?! Wow! They're so good. My sister was talking about dougies and I never heard of them so searched and this site popped up first. They sound delicious and I want to try them only I prefer powdered sugar on top rather than syrup, etc. Thank you for the recipe! I may make them today

    ReplyDelete